Friday, April 27, 2012

A sad end to Pearl's Bakery

If you happened to be driving toward Volcano from Hilo on the Big Island last year you might have noticed a metal building with the name, Pearl's Bakery. I know they had great difficulty opening up due to zoning issues, but when they finally did open, the lunches were nothing short of awesome. I drove way out of my way to eat there. It appeared to be a two pronged attack at business, bakery and lunch. I think the lunch won out. I wrote great reviews in TripAdvisor about it, and really tried to support their success by dragging everyone I knew to eat there. Then, it closed. I don't know all the details but I know it had something to do with the County of Hawaii. I kept waiting for it to open, as I not only enjoyed the food, I enjoyed the owners, the Robeson family. So, this week I happened across their business card and I shot them an email. It turns out they sold the place and are planning on moving to the mainland at the end of the school year, and the really sad thing was this, "The final straw was having our chainsaws stolen while we were having a free community feeding...enough is enough."

I am both sorry to see them go and sorry they had so much trouble trying to start and run what I thought was a great place to eat. I wish them the best of luck on future enterprises. If they do them half as well as they did this, they will go well.

No comments:

Post a Comment